New publications in Turkish on low-cost healthy eating for families
More than 200,000 copies of a seven-part Nutrition Guide for Pregnant Women, Newborns and Babies are being distributed to families in the cities of Istanbul and Izmir. Commissioned by the Foundation and written by Turkish TV chef Seda Sümer, in consultation with expert nutritionists Beyhan Göksan Bulgurlu and Muge Safak, the publications share practical, low-cost recipes and advice for healthy meals.
Totalling 192 pages, the seven publications cover:
- Balanced NutritionAn introduction to food groups, tips and common mistakes, and advice on planning, budgeting and shopping for healthy and balanced meals (20 pages).
- Nutrition in PregnancyTips and recipes broken down by trimester (20 pages).
- Nutrition when BreastfeedingRecipes and advice for nursing mothers (12 pages).
- Complementary Food (6-8 months)How to tell when your baby is ready for supplementary foods, and what kind of foods to start with (24 pages).
- Complementary Food (8-12 months)Advice on which new foods to introduce at what stage (28 pages).
- Child Nutrition (1-2 years)Recipes and advice on the child’s evolving nutritional needs (44 pages).
- Child Nutrition (2-3 years)More recipes to introduce as your child grows older (44 pages).
All of these publications are also downloadable as PDFs via our Publications page.
We developed these publications to meet an important gap of knowledge amongst carers on healthy eating, which was identified by our partners. In partnership with metropolitan municipalities, they will initially be distributed along with milk to 70,000 homes in Istanbul and more than 140,000 homes in Izmir.