Vacancy: Research Assistant, Parents+ and Building Blocks (one-year contract)
Do you have strong analytical skills, are you passionate about collecting the right information and presenting it in an attractive way? And do you love to contribute especially to the development of young children? This might be your job.
We are seeking a Research Assistant who has an excellent academic record and strong analytical skills. In this role, you collect data by means of a.o. desk research and interviews on early childhood development. Next, you analyse the information and present your findings. By means of this information, you support advocacy and capacity-building activities for policymakers, funders and managers. In this way, you have the opportunity to develop knowledge on early childhood policies and programmes. You will work within the Dutch office located in The Hague and report directly to the Director Knowledge for Policy.
The main tasks in this job are:
- Performing research (85%): Providing high-quality research support to workstreams, grant management and technical assistance on Parents+ and Building Blocks activities co-ordinated by the Knowledge for Policy team
- Providing general support to the Knowledge for Policy team (15%)
We are looking for a person who has the following skills and knowledge:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography, International Development, International Relations, Economics, Business, Social Sciences, Humanities, Psychology, Science or other field requiring significant research, analysis and writing
- Excellent academic record
- Strong analytical abilities – primarily qualitative, but quantitative also desirable
- Able to present information in an insightful and structured way, especially in writing
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and to organize one’s own work
- Good skills in Word and Powerpoint
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Passionate about social change or international development, and driven to make a difference in the lives of the youngest citizens
- Master the following competencies: teamwork, learning ability, result-orientation, problem analysis, market orientedness, client orientedness, and written communication
- Experience in policy or business research or consulting, as part of an internship, work experience or degree programme
- Professional proficiency in other languages used in the Foundation’s programs, e.g. currently Arabic, Dutch, French, Hebrew, Hindi, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish
- Knowledge of early childhood development
- We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
- Working hours: 37.5 hours per week
- 1-Year contract
- Location: The Hague
- International and professional working environment
- Colleagues passionate to contribute to the development of young children
- Possibility for personal development
The Bernard van Leer Foundation is an international foundation based in The Hague. Since its inception in 1949, the Bernard van Leer Foundation has worked in more than 50 countries and invested over half a billion dollars toward their mission: to improve opportunities for young children growing up in circumstances of social and economic disadvantage.
Read more in the job description (pdf). Are you enthusiastic for the job? Please send your detailed resume and motivational letter to Ms. Agnes Buis – email@example.com by March 31st 2017 and mention in the subject Application for Research Assistant Parents+ and Building Blocks. Interviews will be on April 21st.